Actually, I thought this WAS Marc's job...
Senior Editor, Magazines - VIZ Media - Anime Manga (north beach / telegraph hill)
Reply to: email@example.com
Date: 2008-01-09, 7:09AM PST
We are looking for a Senior Editor to join our Magazines Division.
The Senior Editor oversees editorial and design for an assigned magazine in the Magazines Department of VIZ Media, which publishes a variety of materials originally published in Japan. The Senior Editor will ensure that the assigned magazine and magazine-related products maintain the company's position in the marketplace, and ensure that the company's publications reflect the VIZ Media strategy, and
maintain an engaged readership through the following duties:
1. Sets the tone and style of the magazine editorial.
2. Manages the schedules and production of a professional team of editors and designers who produce magazines.
3. Works closely with Managing Editor and Managing Editor's Design team to ensure timely production of magazines.
4. Responsible for enforcing deadlines regarding editorial, design, and production work.
5. Recruits, hires, and sets fees for freelancers assisting with editing and design work related to production (includes writers, photographers, illustrators, etc.).
6. Supervises the work of a Lead Designer and an Editor (Associate or Assistant) in the Magazine staff and has significant input into measurement of staff performance. Effectively utilizes the staff and provides support so that department goals can be achieved. Helps manage their workload.
7. Remains actively involved in writing, editing, and rewriting of magazines.
8. Represents magazine at industry events.
9. Mediates and helps to resolve disputes between editorial and design staff and with other departments.
In addition to these typical responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Magazine publishing experience REQUIRED.
• Previous experience with manga, comics, and/or gaming industries REQUIRED.
• Ability to successfully manage and lead a cutting-edge editorial operation for successful comics and book publisher.
• Ability to correctly identify needed improvements in editorial strategies, scheduling, and production strategies.
• Ability to speak and write effectively in English, and to interact with culturally diverse clients and staff.
• Ability to speak, read, and write Japanese preferred.
• Ability to utilize Microsoft Word and the Internet.
• Ability to manage staffs and work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork.
• Ability to assess the quality of writing, editing, copy-editing, and design work.
• Ability to interact with culturally diverse clients, service providers and staff.
• Ability to work legally in the United States.
• Ability to live in/commute to the SF Bay Area.
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
• 1-2 years of management experience preferred.
• 2-3 years of experience in delivering increasingly responsible management and leadership to editorial operations required.
• 3-5 years of experience in delivering high quality editorial services related to magazines, comic books, and/or trade books required.
• Equivalent of Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing, Journalism, English, or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.
This position supervises the work of others, including the staff of each assigned magazine.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials, weighing up to 25 pounds, kneeling, bending. Approximately 75% of time spent on the job may involve use of a video display terminal and telephone. Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle to perform tasks related to job duties.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.
Please send your cover letter, resume, AND salary requirements. Please specify "Senior Editor" when applying.
By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS!!!
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media) is one of the most comprehensive and innovative companies in the field of manga publishing, animation and entertainment licensing of Japanese content. Owned by three of Japan's largest creators and licensors of manga and animation, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan Production Co., Ltd. (ShoPro Japan), VIZ Media is a leader in the publishing and distribution of Japanese manga for English speakingaudiences in North America and a global licensor of Japanese animation.
The company offers an integrated product line including, magazines such as SHONEN JUMP and SHOJO BEAT, graphic novels, videos, and DVDs, and develops and markets animated entertainment from initial production, television placement and distribution, to merchandise licensing and promotions for audiences and consumers of all ages.
VIZ MEDIA OFFERS
A competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including:
• Health (including chiropractic/acupuncture), Dental, and Vision insurances
• Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance
• 401(k) plan
• Paid personal time off (PTO) — 17 days per year to start!
• Paid holidays — average 11 days/year
• Partially paid gym membership
• Full-time casual dress policy
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.