Thursday, June 05, 2008

Our man Thompson at Heroes Con in North Carolina

On Sunday, June 21st, the one, the only, the Cul de Sac cartoonist, the Richard's Poor Alamanck cartoonst, Our Man Thompson will speak. With Tom Spurgeon.

SPOTLIGHT ON RICHARD THOMPSON | Room 219
The first great newspaper comic strip of the 21st Century has arrived, and like Mutts and Calvin & Hobbes before it, Richard Thompson's Cul De Sac has spent its first several months in syndication operating just underneath the pop-cult radar, adding papers steadily, readying to break out into the Next Big Thing. Join Tom Spurgeon for a wide-ranging discussion about art, caricature, and the Otterloop Family with one of the best cartoonists in North America, bar none. It's the panel you'll get to brag about attending in the years ahead, after Thompson conquers the comics world.


He'll also apparently have a table inside to try to sell things to you, like a Petey tattoo. I'll be lurking, as I'm his driver. I'm hoping for the leather cap, but that's probably too much to expect...

6 comments:

kevin said...

Looking forward to seeing both of you!
And, apparently, Richard Thompson will also be taking part in an Al Feldstein tribute panel.
http://tinyurl.com/48v5vl
(you'll have to scroll down a bit)

richardcthompson said...

Mike, you can have the little hat only if you also install a retractable piece of glass between the front and back seats.

Kevin, looking forward to seeing you, too!

Mike Rhode said...

Kevin? Do I know Kevin? Richard, do you know Kevin? If neither of us knows you, Richard looks exactly like his sketch, and I look just like the Simpsonized version of myself on the main page - c'mon over and say hello! Aside from a tendency to try to draw Petey on everyone he meets, Richard's friendly and I usually am too.

(Wow, I can't believe that people I don't know and who don't live around DC actually read this blog. Kevin, I don't know you, do I?)

kevin said...

I don't know Richard and I don't really know you, Mike- but I have briefly met you. I used to be in several strip sharing groups with you and talked with you for a couple of minutes at SPX last year (you even put a picture of me sitting at the Fantagraphics table on this very blog).
Even though I only get to the DC area once or twice a year, I still get quite a lot out of this great blog- I really loved the medical editorial cartoons you ran earlier this week, for instance.

kevin greenlee

Mike Rhode said...

Kevin! Sure I know you! This darn blogger doesn't show last names, and I couldn't think of a Kevin I knew in the Carolinas! Are you attending for fun or working for Fantagraphics at this one?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm usually wondering who my readers are.

kevin said...

I'm going just for fun- as far as I know, Fantagraphics won't even be at the show. They're obviously too intimidated to face the mighty Thompson/ Rhode money making machince and, frankly, who can blame them?

Loved the postcards you posted today, by the way.