Friday, February 23, 2018

Roye Okupe on Black Panther (from his newsletter)

The Black Panther Movie Was Awesome!

What's more awesome? The ripple effect!

Hey!

So I got to see Black Panther for the 3rd time a couple days ago. Yes! I loved it that much. I know everyone doesn't share that same sentiment. However, I think one thing we can all agree on is that it was great to see an African nation (be it a fictional Wakanda) depicted on the big screen with such majesty. As opposed to some of the other stereotypical ways African nations are depicted most of the time in mainstream media.

The amazing buzz has also had a ripple effect on people like me who've been diligently creating content based on African culture and history. In the last couple weeks, I've done interviews with The Washington Post, The SYFY Network, and ABC7's Good Morning Washington to name a few! Check out the interviews below. They have some really cool insights on me and the YouNeek YouNiverse. Plus, in the Washington Post video, you get to see me in my home office wearing a fancy hat :)

No comments: