Thursday, May 12, 2016

Meet a local cartoonist: Jane Dough, dollar bill artist

by Mike Rhode

This past weekend was Free Comic Book Day, and I swung by Victory Comics in Falls Church, VA. They've had cartoonists set up for the past few years, and I got to meet a few new people and ask them our standard questions.  The pseudonymous Jane Dough is doing an atypical  type cartooning... drawing characters on dollar bills.


What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?
I draw cartoon, video game, and comic book characters on dollar bills. 

How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination? 
I use pencil, pen, and gel pens. 

When (within a decade is fine) and where were you born?
 I was born in Wayne, IL in 1987. I have lived in Maryland since I was 7.

Why are you in Washington now?  What neighborhood or area do you live in?
 I'm actually just south of Baltimore in Halethorpe MD. 

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?
 I don't have any formal training in cartooning. I've been drawing since I was little and have a degree in Graphic Design from UMBC. 

Who are your influences?
Honestly my biggest influences are my artistic friends. From musicians, to writers, to artists, they all provide inspiration and motivation for me :)

If you could, what in your career would you do-over or change? 
I'm actually incredibly happy with my current job and wouldn't change a thing for my career. But for my personal art, I wish I had explored more when I was younger. I'm still trying to find "my style"


What work are you best-known for?
 My dollar bill art

What work are you most proud of?
 Probably my dollar bill art (outside of my day job where I manage a UI/UX team)

What would you like to do  or work on in the future?
 I'm starting to work on some short comic strips. I'd love to hone my illustration style.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block?

I usually just take a break from art. I let my brain rest until inspiration comes. If I'm on a deadline, then I'll look at other artists online and do research until something sparks.

What do you think will be the future of your field? 

As a dollar bill artist? I think that's unknown territory! I think it's a very niche concept and is great for gifts, so I'd imagine it's pretty stable.

What local cons do you attend? The Small Press Expo, Intervention, or others? Any comments about attending them?

I really enjoy MagFest, MagClassic, Otakon (Baltimore but soon to be DC), and Creator Con! They're all fantastic Cons and so much fun. Creator Con is newish and definitely has some kinks to work through, but the goal, educating kids about careers in creativity, is fantastic. 


What's your favorite thing about DC?
 

Tons of diverse things to do!

Least favorite?
 

The chaos and poor parking.

Do you have a website or blog?

No comments: