Saturday, April 04, 2015

Ronnie Joyner, sports cartoonist

joyner_bw

Check it out at:

Maryland's Ronnie Joyner May be America's Last Sports Cartoonist


And here's some minor clips of material that didn't make it into the City Paper, just for the record:

Why are you in the Washington area now?  What neighborhood or area do you live in?

My wife and I had three kids and stayed in Accokeek until moving to Charlotte Hall, MD, in 2001. We're still in Charlotte Hall. It's about fifty minutes south of DC, right on the Charles County-St. Mary's County line.

What local cons do you attend? The Small Press Expo, Intervention, or others? Any comments about attending them?

To be honest, I've never been to a con, so I'm not too clued in on them. I think I need to get to one and see what's up. I'll report back!

Least favorite thing about DC?

This is probably not a very original answer, but I hate the DC traffic.

What monument or museum do like to take visitors to?

I never get tired of visiting the Air and Space museum. I spent a year as a graphic artist at the US Senate in 2012, and I went down to Air and Space three times. The Apollo program was such a big deal when I was growing up that I'm still in awe of the astronauts of the 60s and 70s. To go to Air and Space and look into John Glenn's Friendship 7 capsule is pretty awesome.

What's the background on being an artist for the Senate?

After working at the same graphics firm in Old Town for 25 years, I took a job at the Senate graphics department (PGDM — Printing, Graphics and Direct Mail) down at the Dirksen Building next to the Capitol. Basically, there are two 5-team shifts of designers there that work to fill any of the graphic needs of the Senators and their support staff. Things like posters to support floor speeches, brochures, newsletters, direct mail letters and postcards, etc. It was interesting work and a neat atmosphere to work in. I stayed there a year, but I left to join a shop that was more local to me where I could work alongside a longtime friend of mine.

How about a favorite local restaurant?

I worked in Alexandria for 25 years, so I never really did much dining in DC. I'm pretty easy to please (and low brow) when it comes to food, though, so I'm happy just to eat at Chipotle in Chinatown!

No comments: