Friday, February 24, 2023

Meet a Local Children's GN Writer: A Chat with Megan Wagner Lloyd

by Mike Rhode

Megan Wagner Lloyd read her new book Super Pancake at East City Bookstore on February 18th, and it turns out that she's a local writer. Her new book for ages 7-10 is described as 

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a . . . pancake? Here is a delightfully clever and endearingly funny graphic novel about a pancake named Peggy, who accidentally develops superhero abilities and must defend her home of Breakfast Town.

Life in Breakfast Town is pretty uneventful for Peggy Pancake. Her parents are always on her case, she's stuck in her perfect brother's shadow, and she just can't seem to avoid the Bacon Bullies at school. That is until one day, after an accidental mixup, Peggy finds herself with superhero abilities. . . . Now Peggy can flip! She can fight! She can FLY!

With the help of her new friend, Luc Croissant, Peggy must master her newfound skills. But danger is lurking in the Maple Mountains, where the evil Dr. Breakfast Sandwich and his wicked Henchtoasts are plotting something sinister. Can Peggy harness her powers and save all that is dear? Find out in: SUPER PANCAKE!

What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

I write graphic novel scripts.

When (within a decade is fine) and where were you born?

I'm an 80's kid!

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?

As far as creative writing and comics go, I am self-taught.

Who are your influences?

For my graphic novels that are out now: Calvin and Hobbes, the Babymouse books, Raina Telgemeier, El Deafo and many other current middle grade graphic novels!

What work are you best-known for?

Allergic, written by me and illustrated by Michelle Mee Nutter

What work are you most proud of?

I'm always most proud of what has come out most recently! I think because that's when I get to celebrate with the illustrator and readers. So right now, I'm feeling particularly happy about Super Pancake (illustrated by Abhi Alwar), which was just released, and Squished (illustrated by Michelle Mee Nutter), which is about to come out. I'll be at Scrawl on March 14th celebrating my new Scholastic graphic novel Squished.

What would you like to do or work on in the future?

I have always written in all sorts of genres and formats and for all sorts of age groups, so I plan on continuing doing just that. I think it would be more pragmatic (and reader-friendly) to narrow my focus just to working in the style of whatever of mine has been the most successful...but that just isn't how my brain works or how I thrive as a writer, so I'm working with what I've got.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block?

Clean, read, exercise, do another creative project of some kind.

What local cons do you attend? The Small Press Expo, Awesome Con, or others? Any comments about attending them?
 
I went to The Small Press Expo (just as an audience member) a year or two before covid. I haven't been since, but hope to go next time it's held. In general, I'm hoping to become more connected to the local comics and writing communities in the coming years.

Do you have a local store?

I really like Victory Comics in Falls Church. It feels like a very welcoming space.

What's your favorite thing about DC?
 
The museums. And how it is connected with park corridors that bring so much wildlife and nature into the whole area.

What monument or museum do you like to take visitors to?

I like to take visitors on a sunset or evening drive to see the monuments--then they can decide if they also want to do a walking tour another time. For the museums, the Natural History Museum and the National Gallery of Art are my favorite places to start.

How about a favorite local restaurant?
 
Huong Viet in Eden Center in Falls Church (but a word to the wise, they only take cash!)

Do you have a website or blog?
 
meganwagnerlloyd.com, including a blog that I update a few times a year.






No comments: