Monday, January 03, 2022

The Lily's favorite comics of 2021



Intro by Hannah Good

I've been drawing comics before I knew they were called anything. Instead of writing in my diary, I drew a dramatized account in panel form, with lines of dialogue and characters from my life. They were kind of like what I saw in the funny pages of my mom's Cincinnati Enquirer, kind of like the panels I saw in my neighbor's manga books, but also kind of something else, too. I didn't think they "counted." The drawings were too crude, the subject matter too trivial.

An excerpt from my childhood comics, circa 2009. Trust me when I say none are publishable in full! (Hannah Good)

An excerpt from my childhood comics, circa 2009. Trust me when I say none are publishable in full! (Hannah Good)

I kept drawing comics, but it wasn't until I started at The Lily nine months ago that I found out my specific craft has a name: autobiographical, or autobio, comics. True, personal stories told in pen and ink.

The Lily has been publishing comics of all genres since its launch in 2017. Led by design editor and comics cheerleader Rachel Orr, our contributors have told hundreds of stories about mental health, body image, identity and so much more. Rachel often says comics are the most perfect form of storytelling, and looking at our archives makes it easy to see why. Comics tell stories in a way that makes it hard to look away. 

Distilled into square panels, they make complex ideas accessible, raw emotions tangible and everyday experiences delightful.

Now, alongside Rachel and art director MarĂ­a Alconada Brooks, I get to help bring these stories to life. As comics editors, we reach out to artists we admire, read pitches from prospective contributors, proofread scripts and tweak art direction. Then on Sunday, we deliver the final panels to you on Instagram, where you often respond with thoughtful, energizing conversation. It's truly a dream job.

As another turbulent year draws to a close, we rounded up 10 of our favorite comics that captured it. When anti-Asian racism spiked across the country, Tenzing Lhamo Dorjee reflected on how she learned to fight back. As the pandemic entered its second year, Christine Suggs captured  how isolation empowered them to come out as nonbinary. Sharee Miller shared what it's like to become a new mom in a time of so much uncertainty, and Hyesu Lee reevaluated her work-life balance.

Spend some time with them to start your new year. We hope they bring you insight, joy and, most of all, that magic feeling of connection only great art can inspire.

P.S. We're always looking for comic artists to join our roster. If you want to pitch us, or have questions about how comics work around here, send me an email. Plus, I'd love to hear what you think of our comics, what you're loving in the world of graphic storytelling and what you'd like to see from us in the future.

Read our 10 picks

No comments: