Thursday, May 21, 2020

Steve Geppi on his Library of Congress donation

Geppi gave a wide-ranging interview to ICv2 which is well worth reading.

He talked about his legacy in the Library of Congress at the very end...

When I closed my museum and donated a portion of my collection to the Library of Congress, part of the thought process was this.

Right now, I love it when somebody else breaks up their collection at estate time, and I get to buy it and sell or keep it.  I didn't want my own collection to be something that I've spent my whole life building to be just dismantled, sold off in pieces, and have no identity.

So when I sat down and started doing my estate planning, I knew that my kids were going to be protected financially.  Even if they have an interest or didn't have an interest in my collection for posterity, they're not going to live forever, just like I'm not going to live forever.  So for the sake of the industry, if I might be so presumptuous, or for the sake of the collections themselves, knowing how rare they are, knowing how hard they are to get, I wanted to have arrangement where they would live on in perpetuity through an institution that in theory will live on in perpetuity.  The idea was I'll donate a big chunk of my collection (keep in mind, I have plans to donate even more as times goes on to the Library of Congress) so there will be a place 100 years from now, 200 years from now, whatever, we don't know the future, where other people will look back on our industry and be happy to say, "God, I'm glad somebody preserved that."

In addition to that, what it does for the Library of Congress, they have stuff that nobody knows they have that just sits in a basement, in an archive, waiting for the big flood or fire to destroy it.  They are so thrilled, the people particularly who work in the archives, that this is not only going to give them a place to put my stuff, but their stuff will also be part of the rotating exhibits, and the traveling exhibits.


There's an example of me looking past my lifetime. 

You can read all 5 parts at

ICV2 INTERVIEW: GEPPI FAMILY ENTERPRISES CEO STEVE GEPPI, PART 1

Key March Decisions: Shutting Down and Delaying Payments

Posted by Milton Griepp on May 21, 2020

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45779/icv2-interview-geppi-family-enterprises-ceo-steve-geppi-part-1

 

PART 2

Diamond and DC Comics

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45778/icv2-interview-geppi-family-enterprises-ceo-steve-geppi-part-2

 

PART 3

Handling Product in the Pipeline, Diamonds New Competitive Landscape

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45777/icv2-interview-geppi-family-enterprises-ceo-steve-geppi-part-3

 

PART 4

Handling Rolling Shutdowns Going Forward, Plans for Free Comic Book Day

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45776/icv2-interview-geppi-family-enterprises-ceo-steve-geppi-part-4

 

PART 5

GFE's Restructuring and Rebranding, Future Plans for the Companies and Ownership

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45775/icv2-interview-geppi-family-enterprises-ceo-steve-geppi-part-5

 

No comments: