HERBLOCK PRIZE & LECTURE
January 17, 2014 - The Board of Directors voted to include monthly newspaper or magazine publications!
The Herblock Prize contest is open to any newspaper, magazine, wire service or syndicate cartoonist for editorial or political cartoons published in a daily, weekly, or monthly newspaper or magazine published in the U.S. or its territories in 2013. Cartoons appearing in U.S. editions of foreign publications are also eligible. In keeping with the changes in the editorial cartooning landscape, the Foundation will accept animated cartoons for consideration for the Herblock Prize.
The winner will attend the annual Herblock Prize & Lecture to receive a $15,000 tax-free cash award and a trophy from Tiffany & Co. designed for the Herblock Prize.
A finalist will be announced and receive a $5,000 tax-free cash award.
Note: The $50 entry fee has been waived for the Herblock Prize contest. Given the difficulties facing editorial cartoonists, the Foundation believes the fee money can be better used to support other efforts to promote the craft.
- All entries must be submitted or postmarked no later than Feb. 3, 2014 for calendar year 2013.
- Entrants can either enter their own work or be sponsored by their publication. If the entry is sponsored, the entry must be accompanied by a cover letter from the sponsor.
- There can be no more than 15 entries nor fewer than 10 entries per individual.
- Each cartoon entered must be an 8 x 10 inch print of the original submitted in a three-ring binder (or similar size and form).
- Animated entries should be provided on a CD (preferably in Quicktime format).
- Each entrant must provide a biography and a photo with the submission.
- Material submitted with the entry becomes the property of The Herb Block Foundation and may be used to publicize the awards program or collected in educational and/or research archives for educational purposes.
- Contestants or their sponsor must certify that the submitted entries were published as presented in the year of contest eligibility.
- The winner must agree to appear at the Herblock Prize awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. (typically btw March and May)