Friday, October 19, 2012

Steve Artley retires from editorial cartooning (UPDATED)

Mere weeks after he helped organize the Annual Association of Editorial Cartoonist's annual meeting in Washington, DC, 2nd generation editorial cartoonist Steve Artley has just announced on his Facebook page that he's retiring from doing them -

Steven George Artley updated his status: "My editorial cartoons are no more. I am done, finished, kaput. Earlier today, I stepped down from the Alexandria Times. I guess it's time to try something else. What that something else may be, I don't know. Anyway, thanks to those of you who "liked" my work and left supportive comments."

In the following discussion, Steve (who is a friend of mine) also noted, he was "Tired of being an invisible Quixote. Feel like no one is out there. I make a sound and all I get back is my own echo. Or, I'm a ghost. I cast no shadow. There's no indication of measurable readership, no following, no community support... I get virtually no feedback, 'cept for the occasional hate mail. All that tells me it's time to go."
  
"Coincidentally, when I called my editor today, he said the mayor had just called, asking "who is that guy?" Meaning me, of course, who drew the local issue cartoon that portrayed him as an anthropomorphized bulldozer. I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR FOUR FREAKIN' YEARS, MISTER MAYOR!!!! And only NOW, you notice I'm there? This all underscores that I made the right decision."

No comments: