Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A new favorite small publisher - Fanfare / Ponent Mon

Deb Aoki was manning (womanning?) Fanfare / Ponent Mon's booth at SPX this year and I recognized her from her photo on About.com. Since I really enjoy her writing and interviews, I stopped to talk. The company sells manga, frequently created with Franco-Belgian collaborators, and I'm coming a bit late to them, I think. She recommended some titles to me and I bought a few more so over the next week I'll feature reviews of five of the company's books:

TÔKYÔ IS MY GARDEN
Boilet - Peeters
Translation: Vanessa Champion and Elizabeth Tiernan
Pages: 152
US Price: $18.99

Disappearance diary
Hideo Azuma
Translation: Kumar Sivasubramanian & Elizabeth Tiernan
Pages: 200
US Price: $22.99

The Ice Wanderer and other stories
Jiro Taniguchi
Translation: Elizabeth Tiernan and Shizuka Shimoyama
Pages: 240
US Price: $21.99

The Walking Man
Jiro Taniguchi
Translation: Stephen Albert
Pages: 152
US Price: $16.99

Japan
various authors
Translation: Vanessa Champion, Elizabeth Tierman and Shizuka Shimoyama
Pages: 256
US Price: $25.00

I've finished 3 of the 5 so far, and I liked these so much that I'm going to add the entire company line to my pull list at Big Planet Comics - something I've done in recent years with First Second (still going ok) and Toon Books (eh). I like a lot of what Top Shelf and Drawn and Quarterly publish and you should definitely check out their lines if you're not already, but not everything they publish works for me. On reflection, I think I'm getting most of what Cinebook is putting out too.

No comments: