Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The return of Comic Postcards

Found some more comic postcards at a flea market this weekend.

Munson  postcard - drinking comics' 60325
Here's a Walt Munson. Munson was mentioned last time I did this, but with a bit of poking around I discover he was a successful sports cartoonist after he did postcards with collections of originals at Syracuse and Wichita. Also at Wichita are some Clifford Berryman originals as well as other cartoonists.

Breger  postcard - changin to hotel 609 89372
Dave Breger did a cartoon while in the Army during World War II, just like Bill Mauldin, but his Pvt. Breger was never as popular as Willie and Joe. After the war, his cartoon Dave Breger got out of the service too. Personally I'd like to see a collection of these strips.
Breger  postcard - welcome back 601 89364

When I read this card, I thought it was quite possibly the raunchiest comic postcard ever seen.

Faber postcard - part came in

I've no idea who Faber was. Asking around, I got several opinions - women say they don't get it. Men say they can't believe this postcard went through the mail. The mild interpretation - the man is basically complaining about seeing something like a repeat on television. The raunchy - he's saying he had nestled in between a pair of those legs last night and left his seed. Oddly enough, both women asked where the upper bodies of the chorus line were.

WEG postcard-10
Poster Coaster postcard #010 by WEG (William Ellis Green) the Australian sports cartoonist who died in 2008. I found 7 of the series of ten, and you can see the rest on my Flckr site.

WEG postcard-8
Poster Coaster postcard #008. The card is a type of blotting paper.

2 comments:

redda63 said...

I have Weg sport poster coasters 1.2.3.4.6.7.8.9.10 in realy good condition

Mike Rhode said...

Cool. I don't think most of his stuff made it over to the US, especially the sports-related material.