Thursday, March 26, 2015

April 25: Art Whino is DOOMed

we are all DOOMed

Saturday, April 25th, from 8pm - Midnight

 

 

 Group Art Exhibit with MF DOOM Inspired Artwork, MC Ciphering and MF Doom Cover songs by local MC's

 


Art Whino presents "We're all DOOMed" a group art show with artwork inspired by MF Doom.  MF Doom is engraved in psyche of many artists, with a career that spans over 26 years and a relentless push for creativity with each album.  It's this creativity with references from comic books, freestyle, and instrumentals second to none that a vast pool for artists will to pay homage to in their artwork.  With a vast lineup of worldwide artists there will a diverse array of work presented in the exhibit. To continue the theme we will have a MC Ciphering as well at live performance of MF Doom Cover songs by top MC's such as DC's Own Flex Mathews.



Saturday, April 25th, from 8pm - Midnight

Come out for a full night of all things MF Doom!

MF Doom Inspired Group Art Show

Open to the public MC Ciphering

MF Doom Cover songs performed by the dopest local MC's such as Flex Matthews

DJ Oso Fresh on the Turntbales

This event is Free


Location:
BLIND WHINO:Sw Arts Club
700 Delaware Ave, SW Washington, DC 20024




About MF DOOM

Daniel Dumile ("doom-uh-lay") is a British born American hip-hop artist who has taken on several stage names in his career, most famously MF DOOM (standing for metal fingers/metal face doom). He has also been known as Zev Love X, King Geedorah, Metal Fingers, Viktor Vaughn, Doom, and has appeared in several collaborative projects such as DANGERDOOM (with Danger Mouse), Madvillain (with Madlib), JJ DOOM (with Jneiro Jarel) and NehruvianDOOM (with Bishop Nehru). Little is known about his personal life.

Dumile's eccentric wordplay makes him a favorite of underground hip-hop fans. He is heavily influenced by American comic books (especially the Fantastic Four and their battles with Dr. Doom). Japanese science fiction is also an influence; the concept for King Geedorah (which is derived from Ghidorah) and the Monsta Island Czars comes from the Godzilla movie series. He is also renowned for bringing comedy back into the sometimes overly serious world of rap lyrics and a unique, sample-heavy production style.

 

 

 

 

About Flex Mathews

Flex Mathews has been a rising star in the Mid Atlantic regional Hip Hop scene for much of the last 9 years. He was named one of URB Magazine's Next 100 Artists in 2005, and his transition from the local DC underground to national recognition has been the product of his dedication, quality live show performance, as well as his numerous victories in MC battles. On top of that Mr. Mathews has been voted best rap artist of 2009 in Washington DC area. I'm telling you, this South Dakota boy has drive, and then some.

Flex Mathews has tour and performed with:
Lupe Fiasco, Matisyahu, Dub Trio, Mike Posner, Del The Funky Homosapian, Souls of Mischief, Army of Me, Atmosphere, KRS-One (Twice), Big Daddy Kane, Gang Starr, Camp Lo, Biz Markie, Das EFX, The Wu-Tang Clan, Special Ed, Rancid, Non-Phixion, The Beatnuts, RA The Ruggid Man, J-Live, Tame-One, Asharu and Blue Black, Kev Brown, Oddisee, Master Ace, MC Chris, The Clipse, Roc Radia, Glue, Hangar 18, Pete Rock, Talib Kweli (twice), Percee P, Mad Skillz, Slick Rick, Killah Priest, The Roots, The Lords of Brooklyn, Yazarah, BreezEvaflowin, Poison Pen, Immortal Technique, Bahmadia, Copy Write, Icon The Mic King, C-Rays Wallz, Mr.Lif Cannibal Ox, and even Vanilla Ice.  In 2005 Flex Mathews was the take was part of the entertainment portion Take Back America Campaign warming the stage for such great like Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Kerry, and more.

Flex Mathews is a 2x Guerrilla Grammar Battle Champion, and 3x Tru Skool Rip The Mic Battle Champion, 2x Kool Cigarettes Battle Champion (That he now regrets), and a 8x H.E.R Battle Champion to name a few. He has also made appearances on the 2004 and 2005 Vans Warped Tour on the Code of the Cuts Stage. A familiar face in the local scene – Flex has come to represent a new generation of the DC Underground. Versatility? Mr. Mathews has it and has shown when he was the MC for the Drum and Base group "Common Knowledge".  This group made several appearances at Nations Night Club and open for such greats as Chase and Status and MC Armoni. So basically the boy got skills. 

 

About DJ Oso Fresh 

 

The first hip hop song I heard was "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugar Hill Gang shortly after I arrived in the United States in 1979.  In the early 80's as B-boying (or breakdancing) started to get national exposure, my friends and I formed our own B-boy crew. We practiced after school for hours on end. We performed at all of our High School events. As I was always into art, it was easy for me to fall in love with graffiti art, as well.  A DCU student named Frank Ski hosted an hour-long radio show called "Breaker's Delight", which turned me on to a lot of new music. I hadn't started deejaying yet, but I bought all my favorite records and recorded the music on cassette tapes, so my friends and I could listen to them while we practiced dancing. Soon, I was known as the guy with the newest music and was regularly asked to bring my records to local parties.  In 1985, I met a Puerto Rican guy from the Bronx named Juan Ortiz, aka DJ Boom, who lived in my building and had his own deejaying equipment. I began to practice and when he moved out, he used to bring his equipment (one turntable, mixer, and a crate of records) to school and after school he would ride the bus to my house to set up and practice until i pieced together my own deejay set. I started making mixtapes and deejaying parties, but I was still too young to work in nightclubs.  Finally, in 1993, I entered a deejay competition at a club called The Vault in downtown DC and came in second place. I didn't realize the club owner, Kommi, had been standing behind me during my set. He contacted me through the promoter, M.C. Bitch, a few days later and offered me a chance to play at the Vault on a regular basis.


One night DJ Palash, one of the best promoters in the DC area, stopped by, listened for few minutes and left. Later that night he asked me to do a guest spot at his party. I went on to play for his events at Down Under and Chicago's and eventually as a regular deejay at his club, the Chamber.  I started working at a lot of clubs with a lot of promoters. One of my favorites was Josh Segman, who had the PUMP party at Spy Club, where I was the resident hip hop deejay for two years.  I did a guest spot one night at party called "Pollen", a weekly rave style party in the 90's, which was held at the Edge night club in Washington DC. The promoters liked me so much that they made me the resident hip hop dj and i ended up staying for three years and joining the Pollen Family with Pejman, Sina, Chris Styles and Jimmy.  Now I own over 35,000 records and the collection grows daily. I've come a long way since practicing with DJ Boom's turntables and I've met a lot of nice people along the way. I owe everything to a select few of my friends who gave me the support and encouragement I needed to continue and I'll always be grateful.

 

 

Participating Artists in the Doom inspired group art show


Aaron Kraten
Alex Yanes
Andrew John Katz
Bagger 43
Baghead
Brendan Tierney
Bridge stehli
Bryant Pomajambo
Chris B. Murray
Chris Bishop
ChrisRWK
Christopher Canary
Clog Two
CUTTHROAT
Dave Lowell
Downer
Ed Gross
El Estabo
Eric Broers
Evoker
Gigi Bio
Graham Franoise
Hydro74
Inkten
Jah
James Bullough
James Walker
Jason White
John Breiner
John Wentz
Josh Taylor
Josie Morway
Juan Muniz
KaNo
Kat Gun
Katun
Keyhan
Lightup
Luke Chueh
Marka 27
Mas Paz
Meggs
Melanie Pruitt
Nat Van Dyke
Nick Morris
Nightmare Mikey
Nikita Kaun  
Nils Westergard
Patrick Haemmerlein
Philip Bosmans 'AMATIC'
Prakash Khatri Chhetri
Rei21
Rich Pellegrino
Rosina Teri Memolo
Ryan Mcgennisken
Santos Shelton
Scotch!
Stclair Castro-wright
Thom Glick
Thomas Pearce
Tim Lee
Tim Rodgers
Timothy Johnston
Ultra
William Nghiem
Zidekahedron
Zombieyeti


ART WHINO GALLERY

Art Whino is located at the National Harbor waterfront in Maryland. Click here for contact info.


No comments: