Wednesday, September 03, 2008

3rd Harvey Pekar article on his life, and the movie thereof

Here's the 3rd piece that got dropped from Harvey Pekar: Conversations for not being a conversation, except for between Harvey and his readers. The book's available now at UPM's site, even if Amazon's saying it's not ready.

My Film Future: Movie producers are not flooding me with projects

Harvey Pekar / 2004


From Cleveland Free Times, January 21, 2004. Reprinted with permission of Harvey Pekar.


I'm getting kind of tired of writing about my movie experiences, but if that's what the editors want from me, I don't see how I can refuse them. Now I'm told a lot of people want to know what it's like going from a nobody to the protagonist of a successful film. It's happened to others before me, I guess, but I would think each would've reacted differently. For me the movies were basically a one-shot opportunity to make some extra money.

I'm pleased that American Splendor turned out as well as it did, but I would've gladly signed up with filmmakers I did not believe were particularly competent if the monetary compensation was right. See, I'm not a moviemaker. Yes, the American Splendor film was based on my comic book stories and dialogue, and to that extent I guess my American Splendor comics had something to do with the film's success.

But I had very little to do with coming up with the style that directors Bob Pulcini and Shari Springer Berman created to make the film. No one was consulting with me about how to cast American Splendor, or which stories to base it on. And with good reason — I had virtually no experience in the film business on the one hand, and, on the other, producer Ted Hope put together a cast and crew that were highly competent — a group of all-stars. I was gonna tell them their business? Forget it! They knew what they were doing already.

Now that the movie's been made, I don't find a bunch of producers flocking to me to try to involve me in this or that film project. What would I have to offer them? My wife kidded me about being a has-been as far as movies are concerned, and I guess she's right. There's no place for me to go in the film business. American Splendor covered my life from when I was a little kid 'til I reached the age of 62. There's not much left to make a sequel about.

I never got too excited about the success of American Splendor because I figured it was, as I mentioned earlier, a one-shot deal. It'd be different if I had a bunch of film scripts lying around to produce after American Splendor , but I don't. I'm very grateful to be the object of praise and flattery, even if I don't really deserve it, but I'm not going to get my head turned by it so that I'll be riding for a fall.

I do face a daunting challenge, though, and that's how to increase the sales of my books, which I intend to continue to write. For one thing, the comic book industry is in terrible shape right now. Sales are down and they've been heading in that direction for some time.

For another, although I'm proud of my work in the comic-book area, and have been called an innovative and influential writer, sales of my own books have never been that hot, even when the rest of the industry was in fine condition. I was paid $17 a page for the last three comics I had published before the movie came out, to give you an idea of the amount of commercial success I'd attained.

Now I go back to my publisher after American Splendor has gotten awards at Sundance, Cannes and other places, and won the top prize for best film of 2003 by the National Society of Film Critics, to see what I'm offered for my next book. It turns out I'm offered $44 a page, or less than I received for the first book I did for him. So how much good did the American Splendor movie do me in my chosen profession — comic book writing? Not a lot, in view of the lack of interest that comic book producers are currently showing in my works.

There may be some signs of hope for me in the comic book biz, however. For one thing, my next comic stories are going to be printed in trade paperback, not the old pamphlet form. People who like my work best seem to be general readers who, unlike comic book fans, can't find my stuff in comic book stores or, in fact, don't even know such stores exist. Traditional comic book (super hero) fans have never had much enthusiasm for my work. They like escapist stuff. So if my books are released in trade paperback form, they may appear in places like Barnes & Noble and Borders, where general readers could find them.

I've already written a number of new stories for my new book and have lined up several top-notch artists to illustrate them. They're willing to do so even though they're not going to get much money either. It's nice to know that there are some talented people out there who're willing to work with me even though there's not much money in it for them.

So I'm busily preparing my next comic book opus, with some pleasure and plenty of apprehension. We'll see how things progress.

No comments: