Sunday, August 19, 2012

David Astor's "Comic (and Column) Confessional" book published

My friend David Astor just sent me this note about his new book which I'm looking forward to. David was THE go-to-guy for covering comic strip syndicates for over two decades. He's forgotten more about comic strips than I'll ever know (as the cliche goes):

The memoir I wrote about my twenty-five years at Editor & Publisher magazine has been published (Xenos Press, Chicago).

The part-humorous Comic (and Column) Confessional -- which has endorsements from Gary Larson ("The Far Side"), Lynn Johnston ("For Better or For Worse"), Mort Walker ("Beetle Bailey"), and others on its back cover -- includes anecdotes about cartoonists, material about changes in the syndication and media worlds, personal stuff, and much more (including many references to Washington Post and Washington Post Writers Group people).

Interested readers  could order a signed copy of the book directly from me (by emailing me at dastor@earthlink.net) or order via Amazon:


The just-posted listing has several temporary errors, including the wrong publication year(it's 2012 not 2008) and the wrong publisher (Xenos not Lulu; the book is not self-published). But the book can still be ordered via Amazon despite the errors.

Since leaving E&P, I've worked as a Huffington Post blogger; my pieces about books (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-astor) have drawn more than 2,000 "fans" and many hundreds of comments since 2011. I also write an award-winning weekly humor column for The Montclair (N.J.) Times and serve on the board of the National Society of Newspaper Columnists.

Photos are a 1992 shot I took of Herblock at a National Cartoonists Society Reuben weekend in D.C., a 1986 shot I took of Lynn Johnston holding the Reuben Award she received in Washington's National Press Club for "For Better or For Worse," and a 1988 shot I took of Berkeley Breathed ("Bloom County"/Washington Post Writers Group) at the AAEC convention in Milwaukee.

No comments: