by Doug Wise
A lot of what I want to discuss about this movie requires spoilers, so I'm not going to get into details.Coyote vs Acme is a great movie.
Coyote vs Acme is not high cinema.
The new Peanuts and Tom and Jerry movies are meant to introduce a new generation to an old IP. They're meant for kids who never read a newspaper or after school cartoons. Those kids will like Coyote vs Acme, but the movie is made for those of us who watched Saturday morning and after school cartoons. It's meant for those who learned their classical music from trickster rabbits and dancing hippos.
It also reinforces the idea that laughter can make you forgive a lot of other issues with a movie. What issues? I'm happy to discuss specifics after you see it, but in general it seems like they're all either related to rewrites without reviewing how other parts of the script need editing OR scenes needing to be cut for time. Stuff that makes more sense IF the story was different earlier. Stuff that would have landed better with another three minutes of screen time to build.
Since COVID began I watch movies on their last week in theaters. This is the first one I've seen on opening weekend in more than six years. I did it because I wanted to pump up the opening weekend numbers. I did it to help make David Zaslav, the head of Warner Brothers, look stupid for trying to destroy this movie. The list of reasons I have for detesting that man are legion. This is simply the latest and the only one I can use to strike back in the tiniest way. It opened with a much higher than expected $15 million, and that number still doesn't include the Sunday box office.
And, on behalf of the film makers, I want to share what they put at the end of the credits:
“Dedicated to everyone who posted, shared, held up signs and spoke out when it counted. This film made it to the big screen because of you.”

No comments:
Post a Comment