Saturday, October 12, 2024

Those darn color comics and Garry Trudeau

The Washington Post (October 12 2024): A15.
online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/10/11/cartoons-christian-nationalism-missing-fathers-mookie-betts/

Do read it and weep

Daily comics in color! Yay!

I'd like to think it's your direct response to "Don't read it and weep," my plea in the March 9 Free for All, to make the dialogue in "WuMo" more readable, as it often disappeared into a dark gray background created when the strip was converted from color to grayscale.

Since then, I regret to report, it seems "WuMo" is not very funny after all.

Harvey Kabaker, Silver Spring

I always read the Sunday comics, but I confess I stopped reading the daily comics years ago. Your decision to print Monday through Saturday in color has caused me to become a daily reader again. Brilliant idea. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who is attracted to bright colors and shiny objects.

Pam Gates, Rockville

Losing our Religion

"We're bringing more color to your daily life." Wow, more color in the comics. In contrast, a few months ago the Religion coverage every Saturday disappeared. A better understanding of the religious landscape encourages respect for the diversity of faith traditions. Color in the comics contributes to what?

Kerry Stoltzfus, Sandy Spring


Kierkegaard said it best: To label is to negate

What a delight to read Garry Trudeau's Sept. 25 Wednesday Opinion essay, "The Rigger," a clever dive into the deep state by a character who never was. However, I was dismayed to read the word "Satire" above the headline. Why was it necessary?

Even "A Modest Proposal," Jonathan Swift's 1729 masterpiece of irony, is not identified as satirical. Readers are forced to come to their own conclusion. Nevertheless, we must have our trigger warnings lest we be tricked into actually thinking.

Stephanie Demma, North Bethesda

No comments: