Monday, May 16, 2016

Meet a local cartoonist: A chat with Orion Zangara

by Mike Rhode
 
What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

I primarily draw black and white line work. However, I’d love to develop my coloring and lettering skills as well. Also, I’d love to learn how to digitally paint and a bit of graphic design and apply that to comic books.

How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination?

I draw with both a traditional pen and brush, but I also use a Cintiq tablet. So yes, it’s a combination of the two.

Also, sometimes for my personal work, I like to draw on matting board. Here is an example:






When (within a decade is fine) and where were you born?

I was born in Albuquerque, NM.

Why are you in Washington now? What neighborhood or area do you live in?

Actually I live in Sterling, VA— but, I grew up in Harpers Ferry, WV. My wife is a history teacher at a middle school in our area, so that is one of the reasons why we live here now.

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?

I attended The Kubert School in Dover, NJ which is an accredited 3-year school that specializes in Cartoon-Graphics and Sequential Art . It also happens to be founded by my late grandfather, Joe Kubert. My uncles, Adam and Andy Kubert, are now co-presidents of the school.




Did the example of your grandfather or uncles lead you into the comic book field, or did you resist following in their footsteps?


They were certainly a big reason I was introduced to the comic book industry. :) 

Is your mother artistic too?


Yes, she certainly is. She has an excellent eye for art. In fact, she makes excellent points on all my art. She would have been a great art director. 

Can you tell us a favorite story about your grandfather, and his comics work, as you saw it, or it affected you?


My grandfather’s Yossel graphic novel means the most to me. I believe it’s his masterpiece and is so emotionally raw.

Who are your influences?

Oh, so many…Sean Murphy, Travis Charest, Shaun Tan, Richard A. Kirk, Rodrigo Enrique Luff, Nate Simpson, Mike Mignola, Lee Weeks, John Cassaday, John Paul Leon, Greg Ruth, Geof Darrow, Andy Brase, Gabriel Ba/Fabio Moon, Eduardo Risso, Francois Schuiten, Jeff Lemire, Bernie Wrightson, Andy Clarke, Leinil Francis Yu, Simon Coleby, Charles Vess, P. Craig Russel, David Mazzucchelli, Dustin Nquyen, Franklin Booth, Frank Quitely, Nicolas Delort, Riccardo Federici, Rafael Albuquerque, Lucy Hardie, Tran Nquyen, Cary Nord, Kikyz Trece Trece, Gustave Dore, Marcos Mateu-Mestre, Sara Pichelli, Chiara Baustista, and the list goes on and on…

If you could, what in your career would you do-over or change?

Hmm… Well, I am really just in the beginning of my career as a comic-book artist. My first graphic novel, Stone Cold: The Stone Man Mysteries Book One, is coming out in August by the wonderful Lerner Publishing Group. It is written by the New York Times Best-Selling author Jane Yolen and her talented son Adam Stemple. To be quite honest, Jane Yolen has been one of my favorite authors since I was very young, so I am amazed that I get to work with her and her son.

(By the way, here is a link where you can pre-order the book. )

That said, I would probably have submitted my work earlier. As soon as I began actually putting my work online, I began getting paid work.

What work are you best-known for?

I am going to say The Stone Man Mysteries trilogy! :)

What work are you most proud of?

Again The Stone Man Mysteries.

What would you like to do or work on in the future?

I have some secret projects coming up, so I can not answer this question completely. However, I would love to work for more comic book companies and eventually even draw a little bit of superhero genre work . Also, I would love to get into video game and concept work, but I always want to work with comic books in some form.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block?

I guess this does not really happen…I just constantly draw.

What do you think will be the future of your field?

Like prose books, I think comic books will eventually be nearly all digital. Also, I could see comic books as being more interactive and actually move on the page. I believe this is already beginning, but I think it will be more popular in the future.

Luther Strode pinup
What local cons do you attend? The Small Press Expo, Intervention, or others? Any comments about attending them?

I need to attend more local cons! I have been to SPX, Awesome Con, and Baltimore Con. They are all amazing!

What's your favorite thing about DC?

D.C. is probably my favorite city in the USA. I love the free museums, the beautiful scenery, the architecture, etc.

Least favorite?

This is quite minor, but I wish the metro expanded a bit more.

What monument or museum do like to take visitors to?

All of them! Actually, my wife and I were just at the D.C. Mall last Monday and went to the National Air and Space Museum and the Hirshhorn. Also, we took a tour at the Capital and had the pleasure of seeing the U.S. Senate.

How about a favorite local restaurant?

I am a big fan of Toki Underground in D.C. Also, I love spicy Korean food, so I recommend Honey Pig in Centreville, VA.

Do you have a website or blog?

Yes! My website is http://www.orionzangara.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow beautiful work, looks like what Kerry and Christopher used to do. But much better.

Unknown said...

Wow beautiful work, looks like what Kerry and Christopher used to do. But much better.

Unknown said...

Beautiful, looks like what Kerry and Chris used to draw. But much higher quality.