ComicsDC is for information and events relating to cartoons and comics (including comic books, comic strips, political cartoons, animation and caricature) in Washington, DC and its environs (including counties such as Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince George's, and Montgomery.)
Press releases including store events are welcomed - email
Monday, August 26, 2013
Small Press Expo Announces Programming for SPX 2013
Small Press Expo Announces the SPX 2013 Programming Schedule
Bethesda, Maryland; August 26, 2013 – The Small Press Expo is pleased to announce the SPX 2013 Programming Schedule. SPX is proud to continue its established tradition of rich, thought-provoking programming featuring leading comics artists and critics in conversation. As in previous years, the Programming Schedule will feature two simultaneous tracks on both Saturday and Sunday, September 14th and 15th.
SPX 2013 programming highlights include special Q&A sessions with headline guests Seth, Jeff Smith, Gary Panter, Rutu Modan, The New Yorker's Liza Donnelly and Argentinian cartoonist Liniers, many of whom will also join in several other panel discussions.
Highlights of this year's panel discussions will include:
• Living civil rights legend Rep. John Lewis, along with co-author Andrew Aydin and artist Nate Powell will discuss the first volume of Rep. Lewis trilogy, March!, about the civil rights movement of the 1960's.
• Conversations between Dash Shaw and Frank Santoro, Raina Telgemeier and Gene Yang, as well as Sam Henderson and Michael Kupperman.
• What Makes Drawings Funny? with Peter Bagge, Lisa Hanawalt and Jay Lynch, moderated by Dustin Harbin.
• In Kids/Not For Kids, Jeff Smith, Roger Langridge, Rutu Modan and Liniers will discuss how creators deal with producing works for the very different adult and children's audiences.
• A discussion about funding comics projects.
• Our annual hands-on comics workshop will led this year by Alec Longstreth from the Center for Cartoon Studies and Josh Bayer from the Sequential Artists Workshop.
This year is the eighth year that SPX programming has been organized by Programming Coordinator Bill Kartalopoulos. Bill is a comics educator, critic and curator who has taught classes about comics at Parsons The New School for Design. Bill will be the editor for the 2014 installment of the critically acclaimed series, Best American Comics. He is the publisher and editor of Rebus Books, as well as being a Contributing Editor for Print Magazine.
Programming on Saturday will run from 11:30AM until 7PM and Sunday programming will run from 12:30PM until 6PM.