Thursday, May 06, 2010

DC Comic-Con Wrap-Up

So between Free Comic Book Day on Saturday (and a good handful of creator appearances locally to boot), the inaugural DC Comic-Con on Sunday, and Daniel Clowes appearing at Politics and Prose on Monday, it was a busy couple of days for those of us in town to experience the comic book love. I decided to give it a couple of days before I posted anything about the show to let both life settle down and to give my mind a chance to settle in on what I thought about the DC Comic-Con as an attendee. For those of you who don't know (and this is Randy posting, not Mike!), I am part of the Baltimore Comic-Con Executive Staff, and work with Marc Nathan throughout the year to maintain website content, write up PR, coordinate press passes, and a passel of other miscellaneous items that arise and time permits.

That said, I found out about the show when I read on Convention Scene that they had sold out vendor space -- Marc hadn't bothered to mention that they were throwing a little Comic-Con in my back yard! I did ultimately help write the 2 quick PRs that went out, but that was the extent of my involvement in the show. I paid my $5 like everyone else (who wasn't a veteran or GMU student/faculty member).

So all that said, I think that everyone's experience probably came down to expectations, as it does with most things in life. Understanding that it was on GMU's campus, the small number of professional guests, and that it was the first show, I was expecting something very much akin to what the first Baltimore Comic-Con was 11 years ago, and I was not disappointed. The room was on the smallish side, the aisles could be a little cramped, and there were a good handful of dealers, but among them were largely the usual cast of characters for local shows (with one or two exceptions). Dealers had everything from golden age to modern age, statues and toys to original artwork, but you had to look around to find it -- just like at any other show.

The guests were distributed throughout the show -- the headliners, Herb Trimpe, Frank Cho, and JG Jones, had individual table space at the very front of the room on a raised stage and attendees waited in line to go up and talk to them, get signatures, or get sketches. The Hero Initiative guests were on the floor but right in front of the stage, and Jo Chen and John K. Snyder III looked to be busy all show long (Jo had a line before she finished setting up and was selling merch left and right!). Steve Conley was next to Jo, also facing the stage, and the Luna and Fillbach brother teams were set up right inside the doorway to the room at the Laughing Ogre Comics table. Both sets of brothers ended up busily sketching and signing the rest of the day, and Laughing Ogre sold all of the inventory they brought to the show within minutes, thanks to a bulk purchase, so I think the show ended up working out pretty well for them!

Parking was free. Let me say that again: parking was free. I think most shows in metropolitan areas with guests and dealers like were at this one usually have only pay-parking, and depending on what else is going on in proximity to the event, that fee can be hefty. I know that when the O's or Ravens are in town for a game during the Baltimore Comic-Con weekend, I'll be shelling out more than I'd prefer for the privilege. All that said, it was a pretty long walk from the parking lot with no significant signage on a 90-something degree day to get from where I left the car to where the show was. I followed the slow stream of what I assumed to be other attendees, and eventually figured out where I needed to be, as I assume most other people did as well.

People were enjoying themselves. They were happy to see the guests, they were happy to see the dealers, and they were happy to see other attendees too -- a handful in costumes, likely for the costume contest announced just before the weekend.

All in all, I felt the event was a success, and I believe the attendees and dealers did too, as did the organizers. I think there are some lessons learned from the experience, and I'm hoping Marc and Brett will apply them to what I'm sure will be a recurring and evolving comic event in the DC area.

4 comments:

Mike Rhode said...

Nice summary, Randy.

My oldest comics buddy in the area, Robert Montgomery (we started hitting the comic store together in 1989) had this to say:

"Things started badly when I realized I couldn't park in the garage the Comic Con gave in their directions. Following small signs, finally found the parking lot. Then had to hike - a good 10 min brisk walk (in the heat mind you) - to the student union where the con was held. A number of vendors squeezed into a slightly too small space, mostly selling older comics and $5 or half-price tps. Same old stuff I've been seeing at smaller cons. Didn't bother to visit any of the guests. Herb Trimpe was put up on the stage and had a line of fans waiting to see him. I was glad to see that. Overall a disappointment. Basically, nothing more than a slighter bigger version of the comic cons I go to every couple of months. Didn't buy a single thing."

Eden said...

I do hope that if this con continues, they're not going to stick with that location. I know why it's there, but going out to George Mason is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

Mike Rhode said...

Yes, I tend to agree. I'll go for a great guest list, but it's off the beaten track for me.

BTW, were you at Clowes at P&P?

Eden said...

No, I wasn't at Clowes ... I forgot until it was too late (as Mondays tend to go).

I know location (especially in the DC area) is always going to be a problem since things are expensive here. I mean, people have even questioned SPX's location and yeah, it's a little remote, but at least there's a Metro stop right there.