Saturday, August 11, 2007

Toles' 9-11-quoting cartoon draws criticism UPDATED

Two local residents wrote into the Post to complain about Toles' August 8th cartoon, in which he satirized airline's abysmal performances with lines from 9-11. See A Callous Cartoon, Washington Post Saturday, August 11, 2007; A15

Demonstrating that Alan Gardner's Daily Cartoonist blog has far more readers than this one ;^), cartoonist Mike Lester and a few others go at it in the comments section. This is what Richard mentioned in the comments, but I thought I'd put it up here so someone might see it. Thanks for the tip, Richard! And thanks for the initial link, Alan. For myself, I'd guess that the Toles cartoon generated a lot more mail, but that the Post only printed a couple of the letters.

3 comments:

richardcthompson said...

Interesting back and forth on this over at the dailycartoonist.com.

richardcthompson said...

Gene Weingarten also mentioned it in his chat this week, to say it was one of Toles' few misfires.

I shoulda just told you by email, but I forgot.

Mike Rhode said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/07/31/DI2007073100777.html
From the August 7th chat:

Gene Weingarten: I think Tom Toles is the best political cartoonist alive. I also think today's was probably a misfire. An error in judgment. The man is allowed one a career.