Sunday, October 29, 2006

Oct 29 - Addams article in today's Post

Jonathan Yardley is kinder than most of the reviewers have been for the new book Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life by Linda H. Davis - see his review "The man behind that macabre family wasn't creepy or kooky."
Washington Post Book World Sunday, October 29, 2006; BW02

Also in the BW is a review of Susanna Clarke's new collection of short stories, and the Post used two of Charles Vess' illustration. I'd be buying this for the Vess alone, but I also enjoyed her first book Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell and my wife just loved it. Also illustrating a review of Robert Kagan's new book on realpolitick is a WA Roger's political cartoon on the Monroe Doctrine from the fine capitalists at Bettman/Corbis. At least they didn't slap a copyright symbol on it, as I'd estimate this dates from Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Fleet diplomacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very misleading comment about reviews for Davis's Addams bio. I've seen mixed reviews, for sure, but to call Yardley's "kinder than most" is not only inaccurate, it implies that you buy his assessment. It also sounds as if you are totally unfamiliar with the book itself. I have read it and think it gives an excellent portrayal of a great cartoonist.

Mike Rhode said...

Hmmm. Well, I haven't read the book. However, I read a lot of reviews of it and that's what I meant by "kinder than most" - his review was just that. I plan on getting and reading the book.

Sorry for the delay - until I switched to the beta version of blogger on 11/30, there was no way for me to tell a comment was made.