Sunday, November 19, 2023

That darn Michael Ramirez

The cartoon didn't lie [letter on Michael Ramirez

Walter Hadlock, Herndon

Washington Post November 18 2023

When I saw Michael Ramirez's Nov. 7 editorial cartoon, "Human shields," I thought, "Oh, boy, this is going to raise a ruckus." That was reflected in the selection of letters and comments that appeared on the Nov. 9 editorial page.

I expected a wide range of opinions. What I did not expect was Post Opinion editor David Shipley's mea culpa for running the cartoon and announcement that the cartoon had been taken down.

The Post's nameplate says, "Democracy Dies in Darkness." Fortunately, I still have the Nov. 7 print edition with the cartoon. I would remind those who were offended that caricatures are a staple of editorial cartooning. In this cartoon, Ramirez reminded us that Hamas uses the population of Gaza as a shield.


No comments: