Monday, September 05, 2022

A very nice review of my Harvey Pekar: Conversations books

I found this by accident tonight while looking up the first author's reviews -

Topical Reviews: Harvey Pekar: Conversations

Jordana Hall

2011, Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 29:2 : 165-168

Online at https://www.academia.edu/12465298/From_Krakow_to_Krypton_Jews_and_Comic_Books_and_Masters_of_the_Comic_Book_Universe_Revealed_book_review_2_books_


It's 11 years later, but Ms. Hall's review gave me the warm fuzzies on the last day of summer, as I mope about no longer being able to swim outdoors for another 9 months.


She ends her review with this very kind paragraph:


To those unfamiliar with American Splendor, Conversations is an excellent
introduction to the comics and their creator. To fans of Pekar's work, the book provides insight into the author, his personal tastes, and his creative process. What is more, the conversations with his artist collaborators offer an inside look at the entire production process. Taken together the twenty-one interviews are informative and entertaining, with humorous outbursts from Joyce Brabner, who also gets her say in the later pieces. Harvey Pekar: Conversations is an important book for any scholar or enthusiast of comics.


These Conversations books are labors of love - I may have made $50 on this one, but I doubt it - and great resources. I buy all of them. I wish I had time to do more - a Herblock one was discussed with Tom Inge before his death, and there's plenty of other non-comic book cartoonists who deserve collections.

No comments: