Monday, November 02, 2020

Rafer Roberts ends Plastic Farm his long-running minicomic

Reprinted from Rafer's Patreon page with his permission -

I started drawing Plastic Farm nearly twenty-two years ago when I was fresh out of college. I wrote nearly 800 pages (and drew about 600 of them myself) over the course of 15 years, reaching the mid-point in the narrative in 2016.


It became apparent about two or three years ago that I was not going to be able to finish Plastic Farm as planned. The story itself had a lot of autobiographical elements, mostly from a time in my life that has become harder and harder to romanticize as I get older, and continuing the story as written has done nothing for my mental health.


Not to mention, there's like a thousand more pages to draw. I am 44-years-old. I top out at about 30 pages a year, tops. I have lost thousands of dollars self-publishing this comic, and have had to declare bankruptcy because of it. The herculean amount of effort required to finish Plastic Farm as conceived, and my near-absolute lack of desire to draw any of it, has led me to this.


A ten-page finale. A big blowout that'll give some closure to long-suffering Plastic Farm readers, while acting as a strange stand-alone tale for general readers. Like every other chapter of Plastic Farm, this one will make as much sense to new readers and old readers alike…which is to say, almost none. But it will be FUN.


BUT, for me to even work on this, folks need to pledge to CORRIDOR. It's only at 50% funded, and there's a huge national distraction on the horizon. So, please, pledge now. (You can even get some new original artwork!) 


Thanks to everyone for your support over the years. I know that this probably isn't the news everyone was hoping for, but I promise that I will be the best weird finale that it can be. For the first time in YEARS, I am excited to draw Chester, The Thixotrope, The Reverend, and all the other weirdos again.


Pledge now! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/514327241/corridor-magazine-spring-2021/posts/3005359 

No comments: