Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Meet a Local Cartoonist: Michael Webster



 Michael Webster makes old-school comic books under the banner of 'New Future Comics.' While they'd be categorized as minicomics due to his distribution method, he does full-size comics and then self-distributes them to local newstands. Which is how Robert Crumb got started after all. I don't think he'd mind if I quoted from the e-mail he sent introducing himself after I bought a comic and tried to track him down - "I am the artist whose comic book, Hero Patrol,  you purchased at the One Stop News stand at 2000 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.  You can check out more of my work at News World located on K Street by the Farragut North subway entrance.  The books you will find there are Kasper the Prince of Power, The Undercover Unit and of course Hero Patrol.  I also have two novels out, Lime Life and The Story of a Man Called Adam which are also located at News World." Webster answered my usual questions a month ago.

Mike Rhode: What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

Michael Webster: I basically do action comics that are based around the DC area. 

How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination?

I do traditional pen and ink but sometimes I use the computer to tweek my work  or add color.

When (within a decade is fine) and where were you born?

Born in the 60's and I am a proud Washingtonian

Why are you in Washington now?  What neighborhood or area do you live in?

I live in Maryland and work in the District of Columbia.

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?

I am a self-taught artist but influenced by many of the comic book illustrators.

Who are your influences?

One of my biggest influences was John Byrne.

If you could, what in your career would you do-over or change?

I would have been more aggressive and focused in pursuing my goal.

What work are you best-known for?

My artwork and my novel Lime Life.

What work are you most proud of?

All.

What would you like to do  or work on in the future?

One of my biggest dreams is to write a screenplay or see one of my comics come to life on the big screen.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block?

I just stop for a moment, get something to eat or exercise until an idea comes.

What do you think will be the future of your field?

It is an expanding field and will always be around.

What's your favorite thing about DC?

The opportunities you can gain as a struggling artist or writer and it's my hometown.

Least favorite?

Nothing.  There are problems everywhere.

What monument or museum do you take most out-of-town guests to?

Smithsonian.

Favorite restaurant for same?

Georgia Brown's.

Do you have a website or blog?

Not as of yet, I am working on it.  But I do have a Facebook page.

No comments: