Monday, December 14, 2015

Meet a Local Cartoonist: A Chat with Gil Rivera

by Mike Rhode

Gil Rivera
was selling prints of his comic book art concepts this past weekend at a holiday bazaar in Arlington. I took the opportunity to ask him to fill out our usual questionnaire.




What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

I do sequential art (i.e. storyboards, comic books, and character designs).

How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination?

Traditional pencil and ink, then scanned into the computer and then colored with Adobe Photoshop.

When (within a decade is fine) and where were you born?

I'm a late 70's kid, born in Laredo, TX, but raised in San Antonio.

Why are you in Washington now?  What neighborhood or area do you live in?

My wife is active duty Air Force, so she plucked me out of Hollywood once we got married and now we reside in Alexandria, VA.

What is your training and/or education in cartooning?

Most of my training is self taught, however, now I'm enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh for Graphic Design.  I graduate in 12 weeks.

Who are your influences?

So many, but to name a few:  Will Eisner, Walt Simonson, Joe Mad, Bernard Chang, Ken Lashley, Todd McFarlane and so many others.

If you could, what in your career would you do-over or change?


Start earlier, right out of high school.  Ignored the haters.

What work are you best-known for?

 S
toryboards for the "Theory of a Deadman" band's music video.

What work are you most proud of?

My current comic book "Nite Stalker."

What would you like to do  or work on in the future?


A live-action Nite Stalker Trilogy.

What do you do when you're in a rut or have writer's block?

Talk to my writing partner Christopher Paul Campbell, CEO of Dead Light Films, a long-time friend and colleague, and bounce ideas around. Youtube all my favorite artists for inspiration.

What do you think will be the future of your field?

I think we are the future now.  Comics are really starting to explode with all the new movies.  The next step is to get the young kids back to reading the books or maybe creating their own comics.

What local cons do you attend? The Small Press Expo, Intervention, or others? Any comments about attending them?

Since we are new in town, we just starting looking at all the upcoming conventions and shows.  I would like to attend all of them if I can.

What's your favorite thing about DC?


All the history, museums, monuments, and the Metro.

Least favorite?

The cold.

What monument or museum do like to take visitors to?

T
he Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum.

How about a favorite local restaurant?

Faccia Luna in Old Town Alexandria.

Do you have a website or blog?

Under Construction as we speak.



No comments: